Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Leen - Wk 3 - Convention Sketch


I've done convention sketches and commissions before and it's always been requests for portraits and such. I normally go tighter on such things but I'd like to paint loosely going forward. It's more fun this way. =)

Not too happy with the way I rendered the background on this. Unintentional sunset effect. It's supposed to be a bittersweet moment. The objects above their head being items from the episode with meaning. ANYYYYWAAY, I enjoyed making this.

References: "The Visitor" - Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode (season 4, episode 3)

2 comments:

  1. What a great story moment! So intense emotion. Color is definitely your strong point. Watercolor is hard to control even for the strongest artists but there's a randomness to it that makes it look nice and organic. Although this is loose, I can still see that it took a long time. For convention sketches, we really have to limit the time spent down to two hours max.

    My thinking on this is because if the convention hall closes at 6pm, we have dinner and get home by 8pm at the earliest. Then we'd be able to do two commissions per night and get enough rest for the next day. If we can do them faster, we can still attend an after party and still get done. :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leen this is so heartstring tuggy! You caught a beautiful warmth; I love it.

    ReplyDelete